Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 24

30 more miles on a beat up pair of running shoes. Today was a pretty big challenge for myself and the rest of the crew.

The day started off very nicely, Greg and Debra made us some delicious breakfast and got us back to where we finished up yesterday. We picked up some drinks at the gas station and got on our way towards Louisville. Ken and Andy have been hurting pretty bad the last few days so we got a slow start on the day, running 10 minutes and walking for 5 or so. The first couple days after a day off are usually the toughest for me, especially when its a 30 miler. It seems as soon as we get into the rotation of running every day we get a day off and then have trouble getting back into it, but that's just how it goes.

We slowly made our way down the road making jokes and checking out the sites. Over the last couple days we started a question of the day. Todays was an interesting one. We hadn't said a word to each other for about 20 minutes and Ken broke the silence with "Who do you guys think would win in a fight, The Incredible Hulk or a trillion ants?". Andy and I were unsure, The Hulk is pretty unstoppable, but a trillion of anything is a lot. We got some input from an authority on the topic, Phil Holden. Before we could even fully explain the scenario he shot back with "The Hulk! I know so much about The Incredible Hulk you have no idea!". Phil went on to explain to us how The Hulk has "that sonic clap" which would paralyze "most" of the ants. After Phil's testimonial Andy and I were pretty convinced The Hulk would wind up victorious, but Ken still supported the trillion ants.

For those interested, my moustache is growing in stronger and stronger every day. Give it a couple weeks and you might be able to notice it in pictures.

We eventually made it into town where we met up with Robby and Janice who showed us the way to our room for the night. We've been rolling on a domino effect of kindness that started with our friends back in Columbus, GA. They got us in touch with people all across Alabama including the folks at HERO in Greensboro, who got us in touch with folks in Eutaw who got us in touch with folks in Aliceville who got us in touch with folks in Macon who got us set up for today in Louisville. We can't stress enough how much we appreciate everyone who has helped us along the way. From people who take us into their homes to people who call us crazy and wish us good luck, this run wouldn't be the same without you! Sorry I got sidetracked there, anyways, Robby and Janice showed us where we were staying and brought us back to their place for some delicious steaks and mashed potatoes.

After that we made it back to our place at Lake Tiak-O'Khata. Teresa, the owner of this fine establishment was kind enough to put us up for the night. We're enjoying the lake front view and wireless Internet.

Tomorrow is a 32 miler followed by a string of shorter days and the arrival of Momma and Papa D.

I'd also like to congratulate the Oneonta State Track & Field team for their performances yesterday, I'm really proud of all of you guys!

Keep movin',
-Durkin

Today was kind of a weird day for me on the road. It was one of the longest days that we have had so far, taking us close to 8 hours to complete and it really gave me a lot of time to think about things. I am not going to get too emotional or personal because that's not the type of person I am but I will share some of my thoughts that I have had over the past few days. As Matt has already explained we have been blessed by some amazing people so far during our travels. They have welcomed us into their homes and have provided us with anything we might need or want and I do not believe this is by accident or chance. I recently have been thinking a lot about my grandparents and my cousin Philip. I know they are watching over us and helping us move across the country. They, along with every ones prayers, are keeping us safe while on the road and at night. We have been fortunate enough that so many kind strangers opened their homes to us and friended us in only a matter of hours. I was optimistic from the start of this trip that everything we might need will be shown to us. However, even I am blown away by the generosity that has already been shown to us. It is an amazing feeling to know so many people from all across the country are now rooting for us and following our journey daily. I said today was a weird day for me. Today was my cousin Philip's 21st birthday. He was in my thoughts and on my mind a lot today. Happy Birthday Phil. I know you are watching over me.

-Andy

No comments: