Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Day 27

I guess it's getting a bit late for an update, but alas...It is your all-time favorite blogger..Ken! We've been updating photos for a while now...so I guess we could give you all what you want, our daily update.

Our alarm clock went off at a nice and early 7am. Andy and Matt awoke very quickly...but I, however, wasn't so easily moved. I was up all hours of the night in our motel due to loud talking and the more frequent than occasional dog bark last night. I did not get to sleep until around 2:30 this morning. I eventually pulled myself from the bed and we got underway for the day.

Upon our exit from the motel room, we noticed that the air was still ridiculously cold from the night before, and Durkin pointed out that all the puddles around the area were frozen over....ICE....something that almost seemed foreign to us at this point. 3 guys from upstate New York, probably the ice capital of the universe, you would think we wouldn't be surprised, but we were fascinated!!

So we got moving at a little after 8am...we stopped at a gas station near the interstate about 3 miles down the road. The 3 employees all knew who we were by way of the news broadcast the night before!! We all loaded up on danishes, pop tarts, and gatorade, and ate outside in the warm sun until we were about ready to go.

Durkin was feeling 1 billion percent better today, so we were all happy about that. It was painful to watch him yesterday struggle through the sickness. We've all been there, sick in bed...not wanting to get up..but durkin being the absolute MAN he is, got up out of that bed yesterday and tackled the 17 miles like a pro. But anyways, he was good to go today! Andy's shins have still been giving him some problems, but are getting better, and my lower quad has been inching ever so much closer to being cured. In short, all of us seem to be getting to the point where we are all at full strength. We're not there yet, but I can feel it coming. I would say, give us a week and we will be feeling like kings.

We ran about 9 miles past the gas station and got lunch at Subway. I went with the Baja Chicken, and so did Durkin. Andy had his Steak and Cheese on the Three Herb and Cheese bread...he chose not to have it toasted, whereas Durkin and I went to toast-town. It was glorious.

The weather today was really clear, but very chilly and windy. The sun was shining all day...but it was definately not shorts and shirtless weather. Our pants and long sleeves were kept on all day. The terrain was extremely hilly as well. We went up and down all day, but it wasn't horrible, we got through it without any complaints. The terrain, in my opinion, was actually quite beautiful. There were rolling hills all around us, many times with goats and other such livestock roaming for as far as the eye could see. Countless times I thought to myself how incredibly lucky I was to be where I was at that exact moment. All three of us can say that we are extremely gifted to be given this opportunity to live out our dream to the fullest that we always wanted to. Each day we run to a place that we have never been to before. We meet new people that change our lives in the littlest, and even sometimes the biggest of ways. Every day we have new challenges, new jokes, new opportunities, and new sights that amaze and excite us. The horizon is the only direction we look to and we never look back. I love every minute out here.

Back to our day!! Boy, do I get off topic easily on this thing. Probably the most important part of our day was when Durkin's parents (we call them Momma and Papa Durkin) picked us up as we ended our day's run at a solid 25 miles. They flew down here today, rented a big red Mini-Van and came and picked us up. They're staying until Sunday, when we will cross the Mississippi River. Well, they picked us up, gave us some gatorades and homemade cookies, and then also brought us out to dinner. We went to the Lost Dog Cafe. All 5 of us ordered the Chicken Alfredo plate with a Sweet Tea. I polished it off in a mere minute and 58 seconds. It took the other rookies almost 10 minutes....they're pretty soft. But we were completely filled up curtousy of the Durkin's and they took us to the Best Western down the road...where I sit at this very moment.

Tomorrow, we're heading back to Tchula, and we will run 25 miles and hopefully end a couple miles past Belzoni, MS. All of us are on a real upswing I can feel it. We will be graced by the presence of greatness tomorrow as Papa Durkin will be running with us for a good portion of our run tomorrow. We are all very excited about that. It's always nice to run with someone else, but to run with someone so close to us is a real treat. We will definately be getting some good photos of all of us running together.

I just want to quickly give a quick out shout to some people who are very dear to my heart. My girlfriend Claire: you're encouragement is probably the reason I've made it this far, I love you. My Family...My neice Samantha and my nephew Nick: I miss and love you and I can't wait to see you :) Megret and Dad, Michelle, Colleen, Bill & Billy, Megan & Chris: miss you all! I also miss Terps...my dance company at Oneonta..GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!

All of you are now famous because you have been blogged on Nationrun.com!!

Sorry for blogging so late tonight! But thanks to all of you who check up on us regularly. It's nice to know we are so closely watched by all of those who we love so much.

Ken

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, you guys are amazing. Crazy, but amazing. Thinking about your here in NYC as I do the Central Park loop. Hope the days ahead bring sunshine and strength : ) Greta

Anonymous said...

Men, I am proud of you (and really envious!) I heard about your journey on a very faint radio broadcast and tracked down your website. I will try to catch up with you Sunday. Good Luck!!

Greg

Anonymous said...

Ken, Still can't believe you guys are out living the dream. Just hope you know everyone here at o-state is rooting for you. Make us proud!
~Bryan

Scott said...

about the sonic thing, keep lookin for sonics, the one in garden city had a place where you didnt need a car to order so if you go to a bigger one they should be able to accomadate you

i cant believe they wouldnt serve you!

scott