Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 33

Today was our third day off of the trip...and probably the laziest to date. We woke up at 9am which is pretty late for us. And the only reason we failed to sleep in any later was because the housekeeping lady knocked the door off its hinges this morning to see if we wanted any keeping done to our house...we got some fresh towels. But, it was from then on that we were up for good.

So we woke up today and we ate at the Huddle House...again. I am pretty sure we are all getting tired of going to the same place to eat. We also ate dinner at this establishment...which makes it an even 4 times we've eaten there during our stay here in Crossett. Whatever, the food is good and we are just barely lazy enough not to venture any further into town to get something else.

We have all been joking all day about who will be the unlucky one to type up this evening's blog because we honestly did NOTHING today. We woke up, ate, watched the same looped Sports Center all day, and also watched a couple episodes of Scrubs...which I think is a favorite of all of ours. It's a quality program...brings many laughs. Besides the times I was on the phone with Claire or my family...I think I spent the entire day sitting or sleeping in bed.

I'm writing about random stuff at this point, so I will let everyone in on a couple things that keeps us entertained on the road. A couple years ago, Andy and I took a class at Oneonta State called "Team Sports." This class was the greatest class ever and we loved every minute of it. Matt almost took the class, but ended up dropping it because he had "other classes that he needed to focus on" or some weak argument like that. Anyways, Andy and I have ostracized Matt ever since because he missed out on the most fun ever by dropping it. We have a secret "handshake" for the class, what we do is bump elbows while saying "team sports" in unison. Matt has obviously been left out of this handshake, as he did not follow through by taking the class. Andy has been extra mean lately by making sure that Durkin knows when we give the Team Sports' elbow. Durkin, whenever the elbow is given by us two, always shakes his head in disappointment because we are (but mostly Andy) teasing him by doing it so often. Matt, on many occasions, has attempted to create his own secret handshakes with us...one in particular was a certain "Nation" handshake where he makes his fingers into an "N" and tries to pound one of us with the N while saying "nation" to each other. He has gotten nothing in response from us...rather Andy and I have begun to do the "Nation pound" between ourselves, and have left Durkin out of it. We may sound like mean guys, but its what keeps us laughing...well at least me and Andy...hopefully Matt is okay with it.

While I'm on the topic of Durkin...he has recently (about a month ago) begun to grow a mustache. I am not entirely sure if our readers and fans have even picked up on this, even in the pictures...as Durkin lacks the only skill needed to grow a mustache...and that is the ability to grow a mustache. He has told us on many occasions that he fully intends to grow this thing out the entire 4 months. I am excited to see how it turns out.

Also, we were at the Huddle House earlier tonight, and the waitress was asking us all how old we were. We told her that we were 23...and she responded with "I don't believe you." she also told us that I looked the oldest...and that I didn't look "a day over 19." She insisted that we show her ID...at which time Durkin handed her his identification and said "I don't think I have ever been ID'ed for a Double Bacon Cheeseburger."

I guess there's really nothing to talk about in this update other than goofy things we've been up to today and in general. The trip has really become all we've ever wanted. A trip to escape the monotony of life and to experience something so different that no one would ever be able to tell us what to expect. I look over at two of my best friends in the world as I type this out and chuckle on the inside because we are living out what so many people wish they could be doing. Maybe not exactly. I was talking to my parents earlier today. They told me that everyone has that one dream that they want in life. Something that burns inside of them that we all wish to do someday. Many people never get to light that flame and live out their dream. He was telling me that a lot of people are living vicariously through us each day and having all the same fun, feeling all the feelings right alongside of us each day. That makes me happy to know that this trip is more than just a trip to us and to many other people. It's a wonderful opportunity to bring happiness into so many lives, not just our own. We try to affect anyone we can in a positive way.

On a side note...we are looking forward to this next upcoming week. We have been contacted by a couple groups that are getting together with us to run and help us out. The Southern Arkansas University Track Team has contacted us, and on Friday we will be joining them for dinner. We are very excited about this and we look forward to meeting everyone. A few days later, a running club in Texarkana has offered to run with us. Our future looks bright with new faces and new friends.

Thanks again for reading...I promise tomorrow will have actual stories of events from our day. We love you all ")

KENNETH

No comments: