Friday, March 28, 2008

Day 57

I just want to start off today's update with a "shout out." This is to Claire's best friend Abby Schuck. She checks the update everyday apparently and is really into the blog and our trip and everything that goes along with it. I love you Abby. I will be seeing you this summer in Albany...trust me on this one. Keep checking up on us!!! So onto the update for today!!

We woke up at 7:00 bright and early and we had to get ready by 7:30 because Alex Long was picking us up for breakfast. I have never woken up and moved so fast in my life! I had my pull away couch put away, stuff packed up and in the joggers, and I was dressed and ready to go at 7:20, when Alex arrived! He took us to a breakfast diner for a great meal. We all ordered the french toast on homemade bread...and it was delicious. Thanks again for breakfast Alex!

When we left the diner and got dropped off at the Shell gas station where we left off yesterday...one thing was very different than yesterday...and that was the weather. It was in the low 40 degrees early this morning. I had most of my warm weather gear on along with my raincoat (as it was raining.) It was a far cry from yesterday's weather...which was probably into the 90's. Yet, today we were shivering when we started the run.

We only had about 24 miles to go today and we started running around 9 o clock. All of us felt pretty good today as we moved at a nice 5-6 miles per hour all day. We didn't even really stop to rest all day either. The one time we did rest, we just stopped running for a while and walked for 20 minutes or so. The cloud coverage was pretty heavy all day, and the temperature didn't really get much warmer than what it was in the morning. We finished our day at around 1:30 in Jayton, TX. From then until the time Terrie picked us up (our host for the night) we walked past Jayton..about 2 miles to take off mileage for tomorrow.

Terrie picked us up in the middle of nowhere, but she was pumped to meet us. Terrie and her husband Mike have been following our trip the entire way so far, and have been very excited to help us out for quite some time now. She brought us Subway sandwiches and Gatorade. We were all really excited to meet her and to dig into those subs as well! We had about a 40 minute drive back to their house. We met Mike at his pharmacy and then got back to the house.

We showered up and we all took a rest for a couple hours until dinner time. They made us a fantastic Lasagna dinner with garlic bread. We filled up on seconds and thirds!

Since the end of dinner, I have been working diligently on trying to fix my computer. My hard drive I think is failing and it's basically one of our main tools of keeping you all informed and updated on us while were out on the road. I have been reading Internet forums for about 2 hours now trying to figure this out. I bought this laptop for about 400 bucks a couple years ago...so I might have had this coming to me. Hopefully this works out, because I have many priceless pictures, videos, music files, papers, documents, etc on this computer that would be forever lost if this thing ends up being useless. I'm kind of hoping that I can stay optimistic through all of this. My girlfriend and I always kid about PC's versus Macs on many issues...I really have no bias for either...I just like to kid around. For instance, if she has to plug in her computer because the battery is getting low, I always tell her that "oh, it's because it's a mac!" or whenever she can't find something on her computer I tell her "well if macs weren't designed so hard-to-use, maybe you'd find it!" Well...I'm guessing she'll have a field day when I tell her about this one tonight. I guess my next computer will be a mac if she has anything to do with it. But for now, I want my stuff back!

Tomorrow we'll be heading past Clairemont, TX...as it is a ghost town. We have 50 miles to cover over the next 2 days to Post. I am really looking forward to Post, TX because apparently it is on the top of a ridge/mountain type land form, so I think it has a pretty cool view. Tomorrow night, we will be staying again with Mike and his family. I think Andy and I will be getting our hair trimmed up a little bit. We are not getting it cut...I still want my hair to be long and wavy, I'm just going to get my edges trimmed a bit so I look a tad more presentable in public...Andy as well.

Check back tomorrow to see if this computer debacle has fixed itself. Maybe tomorrow I will wake up and it'll miraculously turn on! One can only hope...but if not...I guess I'll just have to "rough it" without it out here.

-Ken

No comments: